söndag 11 december 2011

Group Belonging

I decided to write a little something either way. It's a good way to escape homeworks because for some reason I don't get bad conscience when I blog. Even though I probably should. Good way to trick my brains.

How do I define myself? How should I define myself? 
(It feels wrong starting an update with questions, as if the content can't talk for itself. But I'll do it either way, feels more convenient. Whatever.)   

I think group belongings can be quite destructive and dangerous even though they are comfortable and also, in some way, very positive. The worst thing is when people ally themselves against someone; a teacher, a group (e.g equalists against feminists) to kind of demonstrate "that we belong together". It creates a very harsh environment where prejudices can grow.  
 
Another problem; they exclude a lot of perspectives and nuances at the same time. Do you define your sexuality? Are you bi-, hetero- and homosexual? 
The problem with those is that all of them exclude transpeople who don't recognize their gender; who perhaps don't define it or define it as something different than female/male. See my point? I think the same problems exist within all group belongings.


The most important thing I think is therefore to contionously question and critizise the own group belonging if you have one. There are other pros with not defining your group belonging politically, for example; by that, you don't have to feel responsible for what other people with the same group belonging have stated before you. When I've recognized myself as feminist in debates I've often been forced to explain exactly what feminism really is and why, regardless of the topic, and by that I've also  had to defend other feminists' statements. Extremely tiring and unnecessary. The most important isn't the group belonging. If you are strong in your arguments, you might persuade someone that you're right (which you of course are), someone who perhaps would feel intimidated. I myself can feel quite suspicious and turned off when I see that an equalist argue about equality, without even reading the words. 


When a feminist writes about equality I already feel that I can trust the content and agree with it, without even perhaps reading it and questioning it properly. 


Isn't that extremely dangerous? It feels like I'm blind, often, I think. And narrow-minded.

I would like to develope this, because I've got so many ideas now and so much to say about this. But if I don't do my homework NOW I'll experience the Apocalypse tomorrow. Or something life-damaging like that.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar